Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs
Outdoor swimming pools, decking, and associated security fencing must be planned and designated to conform to the character of the area in which they are located.
- Concept or preliminary plans may be submitted for review and comment before more detailed plans are made.
- Pools should be located in rear yards and away from adjacent property.
- Swimming pools and swimming pool fencing must comply with City of Durham ordinances.
Spas and Hot Tubs
Spas and hot tubs should be located in the rear yard so that the noise from use and operational equipment does not adversely affect the use of adjoining property. They should be an integral part of a deck, patio or landscaping.
- All pipes, wiring, and mechanical equipment should be concealed.
- Spas and hot tubs should be screened from the adjacent property.
- The understructures of spas and hot tubs set into above ground decks must be hidden from exterior view.